2019 is off to a fantastic start for the 1851 Trust
2019 is off to a fantastic start for the 1851 Trust. In this newsletter, I’ve picked out some of the highlights so far, and we’ll have lots more to share with you over the next few months.
- Over 1,500 teachers at 1,000 secondary schools have signed up to use our STEM online resources!
- Our first Next Generation Roadshow for Girls in March is oversubscribed and we’re planning days at new locations for later in the year (more information below).
- With generous support from INEOS and INEOS TEAM UK, we are busy:
- Updating our STEM Crew resources to bring alive INEOS TEAM UK’s challenge for the 36th America’s Cup in classrooms nationwide!
- Preparing for the launch of a brand new sailing initiative for young people from disadvantaged backgrounds at 12 regional sailing centres across the UK.
Watch out for further news on these two exciting projects very soon!
- We’ve welcomed three new team members to help us develop our unique education and sailing programmes for young people (meet the team below).
Next Generation Roadshows
Our Roadshow programme was successful in 2018 reaching over 1200 young people nationally who took part in an activity day of STEM workshops and sailing activities as well as meeting inspirational STEM ambassadors who volunteered to support the Roadshow events.
This year we are excited to be heading to new locations and getting ready to meet more young people around the UK. We will be visiting Leeds, Birkenhead, Largs, Ipswich, Portland, Rutland, Cardiff and Milton Keynes.
We need your help to make these events happen – if you can sponsor an event or support as a STEM ambassador, please get in touch: email@example.com
New 1851 Trust team members
We are pleased to welcome several new faces to the 1851 Trust team as we undergo a period of growth in the life of the Trust.
Bev Smith, our Education Manager has begun her maternity leave and we wish her the best of luck with her new arrival. We are really pleased to have appointed David Flowers who will lead the Trust’s Education activities during 2019. David has a wealth of experience teaching in STEM departments and in senior leadership in a number of school settings. David has a particular expertise in Design and Technology. We have also welcomed Kim Clark to the Education Team to support on the delivery across our Education Programmes. Becci Barrie has joined to co-ordinate the Rebels Sailing Programme.
I look forward to updating you further on the work of the 1851 Trust very soon.