Maritime Roadshow for Girls
Welcome to the 1851 Trust Maritime Roadshow for Girls
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to book your place for a group of 11-13 year old female students on any of the following roadshow dates:
- Portsmouth – INEOS Team UK Headquarters – 11th October 2019- Completed
- Plymouth – National Marine Aquarium – 14th November 2019
- Blackpool – Fleetwood Nautical Academy, Fleetwood – 18th November 2019
- Liverpool – HMS EAGLET– 20th November 2019
- Newcastle – HMS CALLIOPE, Gateshead – 22nd November 2019
- London – HMS PRESIDENT – 3rd December 2019
- Dover – Dover Port Cruise Terminal-2 – 5th December 2019
- Belfast, Northern Ireland – Belfast Port Harbour Office – 21st January 2020
- Edinburgh – HMS SCOTIA, Rosyth – 23rd January 2020
- Swansea – National Waterfront Museum – 30th January 2020
- Portsmouth – INEOS TEAM UK Headquarters – 12th & 13th February 2020
All Roadshow days start at 9am and finish at 3pm.
It is widely accepted that there is a forecast shortage of skilled STEM workers. In addition, women are significantly under-represented in technical and engineering careers such as those in the Maritime sector, and the gender divide is clearly seen in school subject choices.
The maritime sector is vast in the careers it offers, the skills it needs and it is on the cusp of change with technological advancements and greater automation. The importance of STEM subjects will increase as jobs become more skilled and data driven in response to new technology.
In order to inspire more young women to pursue a career in the maritime sector, the 1851 Trust are running 10 Roadshows for Girls aimed at girls in Years 7 & 8 to help them make informed subject choices ahead of their GCSEs.
During each Roadshow day 120 girls take part in a multi-activity day, combining;
*Investigation Zone – Hands-on exhibits based on America’s Cup technologies and other STEM based activities
*Inspiration Zone – A ‘speed dating’ style sessions between small groups of female students and female STEM employees from participating maritime companies.
*Growth Mindset Workshop – Girls will explore the principles of the Growth Mindset to develop their own ‘I can’ attitude.
*My Skills My Life Workshop – Girls participate in a workshop to identify their skills and link them to female role models in STEM.
*Wings and Sails Workshop – Working in teams to create their own sails and testing them
*Panel Discussion – Girls take part in an informal, panel conversation between inspirational female role models about their own inspirations, career journey, challenges and rewards.
Aims of the day:
*To raise awareness of maritime careers in schools.
*To increase participation, contribution and confidence of girls in STEM subjects at school.
* To introduce girls to positive and inspiring female maritime role models.
* To empower girls to make informed choices about potential further education and career paths.
*To inspire girls to continue studying STEM subjects beyond Key Stage 3.
How to support:
We are looking for volunteers and role models at all dates to support our National roadshows. Maritime Ambassadors will be key to the success of the day. There are a number of roles to help support the activities during the day including:
*Supporting the girls to try the hands-on, STEM based activities and workshops.
*Taking part in a ‘speed-dating’ style networking session. The girls will have pre-prepared questions to ask you about your background, how are you applying STEM subjects to your job, and future aspirations. You will call upon your career pathway and training to engage the students and showcase the different pathways towards a STEM career within the Maritime sector.
*Assisting with the Skills and Growth Mindset workshops.
*Partaking in a panel discussion; bringing insight from your chosen role and challenging preconceptions of women in Maritime and STEM careers.
*General event support; we need all hands-on deck to move groups between the various workshops and stick to the tight schedule.
Please contact us via email@example.com if you would like to support any of our national events.